The financial crisis of 2008 brought chaos to the world. If you’re interested in the events of this crisis, The Big Short is just the movie for you.
It’s one of my favorite movies on money. The educational value of the movie alone will make it worth your while. On top of that, there are so many other things you’ll like.
That said, the movie isn’t available everywhere. Don’t worry! In this post, I’ll show you how to watch The Big Short on Netflix, even if you can’t find it in your Netflix library.
Is The Big Short Available on Netflix?
Yes, the movie is available on Netflix. However, it’s not available in every region. Currently, you can only watch it on Netflix UK.
Due to licensing agreements, Netflix is required to limit the movie to its UK-based viewers only. It doesn’t have licensing rights to this Oscar-nominated movie in any other country.
However, you can still watch it from anywhere. All you have to do is change your Netflix region to the UK. The easiest way to do that is with a VPN.
This way, you’ll be able to watch The Big Short on Netflix from anywhere in the world.
In a Rush? Here’s How to Watch The Big Short on Netflix From Anywhere
- Get a VPN. My top choice is ExpressVPN because it can unblock Netflix UK without issues. And you can try it risk-free since it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server in the UK. The movie is available on Netflix UK, so you must appear to be there.
- Open Netflix. Log in to your Netflix account as usual, and start watching The Big Short!
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch The Big Short?
The Big Short is only available on Netflix UK.
Netflix uses your IP address to determine your location. Based on this, it decides whether or not to show you certain content. If it doesn’t have licensing rights to a particular show or movie in your country, you won’t be able to find it in your local Netflix library.
However, it’s easy to disguise your actual location and access region-locked titles. All you need is an IP address of the country where The Big Short is streaming (like the UK), and that’s it. The easiest way to do that is with a VPN.
A VPN hides your real IP address and assigns you a new one based on your chosen server location. This makes Netflix think you’re accessing the platform from a licensed region. For example, suppose you connect to a UK VPN server from the US. Netflix will think you’re actually accessing the platform from within the UK and give you access to the movie.
This way, you can watch The Big Short on Netflix from anywhere in the world. Plus, you’ll have access to other region-locked movies.
How to Watch The Big Short on Netflix: Step-by-Step Guide
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it consistently works with Netflix UK. Plus, it also accesses many other Netflix libraries without getting blocked.
- Install the app. Following the on-screen instructions, install the app on your preferred device. It took me less than a minute to install ExpressVPN on my Windows PC.
- Launch the VPN app. Open the VPN app on your device, and sign in to your account if prompted.
- Connect to a server in the UK. That’s because the movie is available in the UK. I used its London server and it worked like a charm.
- Open Netflix. Launch the Netflix app as usual.
- Look for the title. Search The Big Short, and you’ll now be able to see it on Netflix. Click Play.
- Start watching! Sit back, relax, and enjoy The Big Short on your device.
The Big Short Netflix Countries
The movie isn’t available in any other Netflix library.
The Big Short Overview
The Big Short is a 2015 comedy-drama film directed by Adam McKay and written by Charles Randolph, based on the book of the same name by Michael Lewis.
The film is about the 2007–2008 financial crisis and the subsequent economic recession. It tells the story of four fictional Wall Street traders who attempt to profit from the collapse of the housing market by shorting the stock of a credit default swap provider.
The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay. It also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and received four other nominations: Best Actor – Musical or Comedy (Bale), Best Supporting Actor (Carell), Best Supporting Actress (Leo), and Best Screenplay (Randolph).
Why Use ExpressVPN for Unblocking Netflix Libraries?
I recommend ExpressVPN because it was the most consistent at unblocking Netflix in my tests. Not only did it unblock Netflix UK, but I was also able to access dozen other libraries.
Here are more reasons why I like ExpressVPN:
- Money-back guarantee. The best part about ExpressVPN is that you can try it risk-free for 30 days, thanks to its money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with the service, you can easily get all your money back. I’ve tested its refund policy myself, and it’s 100% reliable.
- Incredible speeds: Most VPNs slow down your VPN connection. However, ExpressVPN is extremely fast. I tested its servers and got download speeds of 82 Mbps. This is a speed loss of only 9%, which is way faster than most VPNs. You’ll be able to watch The Big Short in HD without buffering.
- Works with popular streaming services. In addition to Netflix, ExpressVPN works with BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Hotstar, HBO Max, Peacock, Funimation, Crunchyroll, and more.
- Impressive server network. ExpressVPN has a massive server network, and all of its servers are reliable. This means you can access several Netflix libraries and other geo-restricted content from all over the world.
- Keeps you safe. Another reason why I like ExpressVPN is that it’s incredibly secure. It uses 256-bit military-grade encryption to protect your data from hackers, snoopers, and other external threats. Plus, it has a strict no-logs policy, meaning it never stores any of your data. You can even pay with cryptocurrencies for added security.
FAQs on How to Watch The Big Short from Anywhere
Can I use a free Netflix VPN to watch The Big Short?
Free VPNs probably won’t work. Some free VPNs I tried didn’t have servers in the UK, so I couldn’t use them to unblock Netflix UK.
Even the ones that did weren’t able to access the UK library. They were always detected by Netflix.
If you manage to find a free VPN that works, you’ll likely encounter slow speeds. Worse still, there will likely be data restrictions. Most free VPNs only give you a couple of GBs, so you can only watch a few episodes. That’s why it’s better to get a paid VPN — most of them are even backed by a money-back guarantee.
What devices can I watch The Big Short on?
All devices that support Netflix. Even if you plan to watch Netflix on devices that don’t support VPNs (like smart TVs or gaming consoles), you can set up the VPN on your router and watch The Big Short on any device you like.
Is The Big Short available on HBO Max?
No, The Big Short is not available on HBO Max.
What to do if my VPN doesn’t unblock The Big Short on Netflix?
The first thing you should do is try switching to a different server. For example, if you’re trying to access Netflix UK, it’s likely that your VPN has more than one server in the country. And connecting to a different server in the same country can sometimes give you access to the library.
If not, you can contact customer support for help.
Is using a VPN to watch The Big Short on Netflix legal?
There’s nothing illegal about using a VPN with Netflix. Just make sure that VPNs are legal in your country. Some countries (like China and UAE) restrict VPN use, so it’s important to check your local laws regarding VPN use. If VPNs are legal in your country, then you should be okay.
The Big Short is only available in a limited number of Netflix regions, like the UK. However, you can easily watch it from anywhere using a VPN.
My top pick is ExpressVPN because it works with several Netflix libraries without issues. With its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try the service risk-free and get your money back if you’re not happy with the service.