Friends is an American sitcom that follows the lives and hilarious misadventures of a tight-knit group of friends living in New York City.
Created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, Friends first aired on TV from 1994 to 2004 lasting a total of 10 seasons. But even after all these years, this sitcom remains incredibly popular and is still widely watched. Whether you’re in the mood for laughter, heartfelt moments, or just a nostalgic trip down memory lane, Friends has got you covered.
But depending on your location, you might not be able to find Friends on Netflix in your local library. But don’t worry! In this article, we’ll show you how to watch Friends from any corner of the world.
Is Friends on Netflix?
Friends is available on Netflix, but not everywhere. Currently, it’s only streaming on a handful of Netflix libraries, including the UK.
This is because much of Netflix’s content is region-locked, which means that the availability of titles varies depending on where you are in the world. Unfortunately, Friends is not licensed for streaming in the US and many other countries, so you won’t be able to watch it on Netflix if you live there.
But there’s good news. You can easily change your Netflix region to UK and access the entire UK library. The easiest and most reliable way to do that is with a VPN. This means you can watch Friends on Netflix, even if it’s not available in your country.
Watch Friends With a VPN Today
In a Rush? Here’s How to Watch Friends From Anywhere
- Get a VPN. My recommendation is ExpressVPN because it reliably accesses other countries’ Netflix libraries without problems. And its 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try it risk-free.
- Connect to a server in the UK. The show is available on Netflix UK, so you need to connect to a server there.
- Open Netflix. Log in to your Netflix account as usual, and watch Friends!
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Friends?
As mentioned, Friends is only streaming on a select few Netflix regions, including the UK.
If you want to access the show from outside the permitted location, you’ll need an IP address of the country where it’s available (like the UK). The easiest and fastest way to do that is with a VPN.
A VPN hides your real IP address and assigns you a new one based on your chosen server. For example, when you connect to a UK VPN server from the US, you’ll be assigned a UK IP address. This leads sites like Netflix into thinking that you’re using the app from within the UK and gives you access to the show.
This way, you can watch Friends on Netflix (all 10 seasons) from anywhere in the world. You will also have access to many other region-locked sitcoms, like The Office, Two and a Half Men, and Modern Family.
How to Watch Friends in the US or Anywhere: Step-by-Step Guide
- Download a VPN. My favorite is ExpressVPN because it always works with Netflix UK. Plus, it unblocks several other Netflix libraries without fail.
- Install the app. Following the on-screen instructions, install the app on your preferred device. It took me less than a minute to install ExpressVPN on my Windows PC.
- Launch the VPN app. Open the VPN app on your device, and sign in to your account if prompted.
- Connect to a server in the UK. That’s because the show is available in the UK. I used its London server and got reliable access.
- Open Netflix. Launch the Netflix app as usual.
- Look for the title. Search Friends, and you’ll now be able to see it on Netflix. Click Play.
- Start watching! Sit back, relax, and enjoy Friends on your device.
Watch Friends With ExpressVPN Today
Friends Netflix Countries
Other than Netflix UK, the show is available in the following libraries:
|Russia||Singapore||South Africa||South Korea|
For viewers based in the above-listed countries, you won’t need a VPN to watch Friends on Netflix. If you’re not from one of these licensed regions, just connect to a VPN server in one of these countries and watch without issues.
Friends is a classic American sitcom that follows the lives of six friends living in New York City: Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler, and Ross. The show aired for ten seasons, from 1994 to 2004, and has remained popular ever since. The series explores the group’s ups and downs as they navigate their careers, relationships, and everyday life challenges. Each character has a unique personality that contributes to the show’s humor, wit, and heart. With its relatable characters, witty writing, and iconic moments, Friends has become a cultural touchstone that continues to resonate with audiences of all ages.
Why Do I Recommend ExpressVPN for Unblocking Netflix Libraries?
Over the years, I’ve tried dozens of paid and free VPNs. Most VPNs that I tried (even the paid ones) were inconsistent at unblocking Netflix. But ExpressVPN works consistently no matter which Netflix library you want to access. That’s why it’s the one I recommend.
Here are more reasons why I like ExpressVPN:
- Money-back guarantee. The best part about ExpressVPN is that you can try it risk free for 30 days, thanks to its money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with the service, you can easily get all your money back. I’ve tested its refund policy myself — it’s one you can trust.
- Incredible speeds: Most VPNs slow down your VPN connection. However, ExpressVPN is extremely fast. I tested its servers and got download speeds of 38 Mbps. This is a speed loss of only 5%, which is way faster than most VPNs. There will be no buffering when you stream Friends in high quality.
- Works with popular streaming services. In addition to Netflix, ExpressVPN works with BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Hotstar, HBO Max, Peacock, Funimation, Crunchyroll, and more.
- Impressive server network. ExpressVPN has a massive server network, and all of its servers are reliable. This means you can access several Netflix libraries and other geo-restricted content from all over the world.
- Keeps you safe. Another reason why I like ExpressVPN is that it’s extremely secure. It uses 256-bit military-grade encryption to protect your data from hackers, snoopers, and other external threats. Plus, it has a strict no-logs policy, meaning it never stores any of your data. You can even pay with cryptocurrencies for added security.
FAQs on How to Watch Friends on Netflix
I do not recommend free VPNs because they usually don’t work. Most of them are easily detected by Netflix and are unable to access region-locked titles, like Friends.
Worse still, free VPNs have speed caps and data restrictions in place, making it virtually impossible to stream content with them.
You can watch Friends on all devices that support Netflix using a VPN. This includes Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, smart TVs, and more. The only condition is that your VPN should be compatible with these devices.
If your device doesn’t support VPNs, you can still set it up on your router and use the VPN connection on all devices connected to the router. This way you can watch Friends on devices that don’t have VPN compatibility.
The first thing you should do is try switching to a different server. For example, if you’re trying to access Netflix UK, it’s likely that your VPN has more than one server in the country. And connecting to a different server in the same country can sometimes give you access to the library.
If that still doesn’t work, you should see if the title is available in other countries, and connect to a server there.
A VPN is nothing but a privacy tool, so using one with Netflix is not illegal. You won’t get into any trouble just for changing your Netflix region and watching Friends. Put simply, as long as you’re not using the VPN to break the law, you should be fine.
However, bear in mind that there are some countries where VPN use is a gray area (like China and Saudi Arabia). Using a VPN in such countries can be illegal. It’s always a good idea to check your laws regarding VPN use, especially if you live in a place with heavy internet censorship.
Friends is only streaming on a couple of Netflix libraries. However, you can easily watch it from anywhere (including the US) using a VPN.
A VPN also lets you access many other geo-restricted platforms, like Disney+, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. Plus, it protects your data and online privacy from prying eyes.