When my friend first recommended Death Note to me, I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy anime as a grownup. But after much persuasion, I finally decided to give it a shot, and I’m truly glad I did. Little did I know that it would quickly become an instant favorite. That’s how my journey into the world of anime began, and even though I’ve watched several anime series since then, Death Note still remains one of my top picks.
It is an intelligently written and smartly-paced series that effortlessly captivates its viewers from the first episode. The story revolves around Light Yagami, a high school student who stumbles upon a supernatural notebook granting him the power to kill anyone by simply writing their name in it. As Light attempts to cleanse the world of evil, he attracts the attention of a highly skilled detective, sparking an intense cat-and-mouse chase. It keeps you hooked with its cleverly woven narrative and intricate twists, effortlessly blurring the lines between good and evil.
If you’re looking to watch Death Note on Netflix, you’ll be disappointed to learn that it’s not available in every region. But don’t worry! In this article, we’ll show you how to watch Death Note on Netflix from anywhere in the world.
Is Death Note on Netflix?
Death Note is streaming on Netflix, but not in every location. Currently, it’s only available on a select few Netflix libraries, including India and Japan.
That’s because much of Netflix’s content is region-locked due to licensing restrictions, meaning that certain titles can only be accessed in specific regions. As a result, the content library varies depending on your location.
It’s likely that Netflix doesn’t have streaming rights to this anime in your region, and that’s why you can’t find it in your local library. However, you can easily watch it by changing your Netflix region to a country where Death Note is streaming (like India). The best way to do that is with a VPN.
This means you can watch Death Note and other region-locked anime series from anywhere.
In a Hurry? Here’s How to Watch Death Note on Netflix
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it reliably accesses other countries’ Netflix libraries without problems. Its 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try it risk-free.
- Connect to a server in India. Death Note is available on Netflix India, so you have to connect to a server there.
- Open Netflix. Log in to your Netflix account as usual, and start streaming Death Note!
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Death Note?
As mentioned above, Death Note is only streaming on a few Netflix libraries (including India). If you’re outside the licensed location, you can still watch this anime. All you need is an IP address from a country where Death note is streaming. That’s where a VPN comes into play.
A VPN hides your real IP address and replaces it with one matching the VPN server. This makes Netflix think you’re accessing the platform from a permitted location. For example, if you connect to an Indian VPN server from abroad, Netflix will think you’re accessing the app from India and give you access to the show.
A VPN also protects your data and privacy from prying eyes like cybercriminals, hackers, ISPs, and governments. Plus, it allows you to access region-locked platforms such as Disney+, Hulu, Max, BBC iPlayer, and many more, regardless of your location.
How to Watch Death Note on Netflix: Step-by-Step Guide
- Download a VPN. My recommendation is ExpressVPN because it consistently unblocks Netflix India. Plus, it always works well with several other Netflix libraries without problems.
- Install the app. Following the on-screen instructions, install the app on your preferred device. It took me less than a minute to install ExpressVPN on my Windows PC.
- Launch the VPN app. Open the VPN app on your device, and sign in to your account if prompted.
- Connect to a server in India. That’s because the anime is available in India. For me, its India via UK server worked without hassle.
- Open Netflix. Launch the Netflix app as usual.
- Look for the title. Search Death Note, and you’ll now be able to see it on Netflix. Click Play.
- Start watching! Sit back, relax, and enjoy Death Note on your device.
Death Note Netflix Libraries
Aside from India, you can watch Death Note on the following Netflix libraries:
If you’re located in one of the above countries, you don’t need a VPN to watch the anime. Just open Netflix and search for the title. If you’re not from one of the countries above, you can get a VPN and connect to a server in one of these countries. However, it’s important to note that we tested using an Indian server.
Where Else Can I Watch Death Note?
Aside from Netflix, you can also watch Death Note on the following streaming platforms:
Take note that these platforms are also geo-restricted, so you’ll need a VPN to access them if you’re not in the US.
Why Use ExpressVPN for Unblocking Netflix Libraries?
Over the years, I’ve tried several paid and free VPNs. Most VPNs that I tried (even the paid ones) were inconsistent at unblocking Netflix. But ExpressVPN works consistently no matter which Netflix library you want to access.
Here are more reasons why I like ExpressVPN:
- Money-back guarantee. The best part about ExpressVPN is that you can try it risk-free for 30 days, thanks to its money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with the service, you can easily get all your money back. I’ve tested its refund policy myself — it’s one you can trust.
- Great speeds: Most VPNs slow down your VPN connection. However, ExpressVPN is extremely fast. I tested its servers and got download speeds of 151 Mbps. This is a speed loss of only 5%, which is way faster than most VPNs. There will be no slowdowns as you stream Death Note.
- Works with popular streaming services. In addition to Netflix, ExpressVPN also works with BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Hotstar, HBO Max, Peacock, Funimation, Crunchyroll, and more.
- Impressive server network. ExpressVPN has a huge server network, and all of its servers are reliable. This means you can access several Netflix libraries and other geo-restricted content from all over the world.
- Keeps you safe. Another reason why I like ExpressVPN is that it’s extremely secure. It uses 256-bit military-grade encryption to protect your data from hackers, snoopers, and other external threats. Plus, it has a strict no-logs policy, meaning it never stores any of your data. You can even pay with cryptocurrencies for added security.
In Which Order Should I Watch Death Note?
Death Note only has one season consisting of 37 episodes, so you can’t go wrong here.
FAQs on How to Watch Death Note
Can I use a free Netflix VPN to watch Death Note?
You can, but free VPNs often do not work with Netflix. They’re easily detected by Netflix and are unable to access region-locked titles, like Death Note.
Plus, free VPNs have slow speeds and limited data, so they’re not suitable for streaming. Most free VPNs only give you a couple of GBs. You’ll quickly run out of data and can only watch a few episodes.
What devices can I watch Death Note on?
Using a VPN, you can watch Death Note on all devices that support Netflix. This includes Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, smart TVs, and more. The only condition is that your VPN should be compatible with these devices.
If your device doesn’t support VPNs, you can still set it up on your router and use the VPN connection on all devices connected to the router. This way you can watch Death Note on devices that don’t have VPN compatibility.
Is using a VPN to unblock Netflix legal?
Yes, using a VPN to unblock other countries’ libraries is legal. You won’t get into trouble for using one to access other countries’ Netflix libraries. That’s because Netflix doesn’t punish its users for using a VPN. Instead, it goes after the service providers and blocks their IP addresses.
However, you should make sure that VPNs are legal in your country. Some countries (like Iran and China) restrict or ban VPN use. Using a VPN in such countries can be illegal. Please stay up to date with your country’s local VPN laws to avoid getting into trouble.
Death Note was the first anime I watched, and it’s still one of my favorites to date. When an anime has characters as interesting (and smart) as L Lawliet, Light Yagami, and Near, you sure don’t want to miss it.
The problem is that Death Note is only available in a few Netflix regions, like India. However, you can easily access it from anywhere using a VPN.
A VPN also has many other benefits. For example, in addition to Netflix, it can also access other platforms that are not available in your region (e.g. Funimation, Crunchyroll, Disney+, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, and more). Plus, it keeps your data and online activity hidden from prying eyes.